The Garden and Facilities Maintenance Technician will be responsible for performing routine building and grounds maintenance tasks and other related tasks as assigned. This position will be under the direction of the Garden and Facilities Manager and will coordinate with the Part-time Seasonal Gardener. The Garden and Facilities Maintenance Technician is expected to work independently and also with other Bookworm Gardens staff members. Occasional evening, weekend, and holiday hours will be required. Work assignments may change during the season as needed by the Garden and Facilities Manager.
• Responsible for general facilities maintenance including repair and maintenance of garden structures, building maintenance and light repair, HVAC maintenance, equipment maintenance and repair, indoor and outdoor plumbing and irrigation maintenance and repair, and repair and maintenance of tools and equipment.
• General landscape maintenance including planting and transplanting, pruning trees and shrubs, watering, mulching, mowing, raking, digging, weeding, fertilizing, deadheading, edging and greenhouse work.
• General grounds maintenance including picking up trash and compost, removing refuse, tidying up tool and equipment storage areas, cleaning paths, and sharpening and maintaining tools and equipment.
• Safely operate small equipment such as golf carts, leaf blowers, mowers, chainsaws, rototillers, and weed-eaters.
• Keep tools, supplies, vehicles, and work areas clean and organized.
• Work safely without injury to self, others, property, or plants.
• Interact daily with staff, volunteers, and the public in a friendly and respectful manner. Must be comfortable working around children.
• Responsible for special event set up and take down. Will include some nights and weekends.
• Assist the Garden and Facilities Department and other departments with other projects as needed.