The Part-time Seasonal gardener will perform general landscaping and grounds maintenance on the 7.5 acre Bookworm Gardens site. Consisting primarily of manual labor, this position will be under the direction of the Garden and Facilities Manager. The Part-time Seasonal Gardener is expected to work independently and also with other technical staff members. Occasional evening, weekend, and holiday hours will be required. Work and area assignments will change during the season as needed by the Garden and Facilities Manager.
• General landscape maintenance including planting and transplanting, pruning trees and shrubs, watering, mulching, mowing, raking, digging, weeding, fertilizing, deadheading, and edging.
• General grounds maintenance including picking up trash and compost, removing refuse, tidying up tool and equipment storage areas, cleaning paths, and sharpening and maintaining tools and equipment.
• Safely operate small equipment such as golf carts, leaf blowers, mowers, chainsaws, rototillers, and weed-eaters.
• Keep tools, supplies, vehicles, and work areas clean and organized.
• Assist indoors with projects such as equipment maintenance, shop organization, and greenhouse work when weather prohibits outdoor work.
• Work safely without injury to self, others, property, or plants.
• Interact daily with staff, volunteers, and the public in a friendly and respectful manner. Must be comfortable working around children.
• Responsible for special event set up and take down. Will include some nights and weekends.
• Assist the Garden and Facilities Department and other departments with projects as needed.