Mt. Cuba Center
Greenhouse & Nursery Production Manager (Full-time)
We are looking for a passionate and enthusiastic Greenhouse & Nursery Production Manager to oversee and maintain high quality production programs and effective operation of the greenhouse & nursery facilities.
The Greenhouse & Nursery Production Manager implements and supervises all plant production activities associated with the greenhouse and outdoor production areas, and schedules staff for production. This position works closely with the Propagation Manager to receive propagules to be grown and finished for research, display and various Mt. Cuba Center needs.
We are seeking highly collaborative team members that put our mission first and will help us deliver remarkable experiences to our guests!
What you’ll do:
Plant Production Management
• Implement best practices and technologies for effective crop production, including sanitation, watering, potting, media, Integrated Pest Management, and beneficial insect program.
• Grow trees, shrubs and perennials in the nursery
• Manage the plant shipment process in accordance with necessary protocols. Work with Propagation Manager to produce gifting list.
• Oversee long-term greenhouse collections. Manage native display containers in collaboration with Formal Gardens Horticulturist.
• Process plant orders received from nurseries in collaboration with the Collections Department. Maintain database regarding production records. Produce current plant availability to facilitate garden planting.
• Support Propagation Manager in plant conservation projects with local and regional colleagues to produce rare species and assist with research as needed.
Effective Plant Operations Management
• Responsible for overall effective greenhouse operations management including reporting greenhouse building maintenance issues, ordering production supplies, managing the greenhouse & nursery budget, and staffing the plant production facility to provide continuous care based on production needs.
• Lead initiatives and oversee all projects related to modernizing the greenhouse, including practices as well as production facilities improvements.
• Act as primary back-up to the Propagation Manager to support effective propagation operations, including mist system, seedling care, and raised beds. Manage staff in the absence of the Propagation Manager.
General Staff & Organization Management Pertaining to the Plant Production Facilities
• Provide knowledge and guidance to support guest and organizational initiatives related to profession.
• Lead, guide, and train employees, interns, and/or volunteers performing related work.
• Lead the planning and execution of department initiatives and budget in alignment with Mt. Cuba Center’s mission and goals, including effective policy and procedural development.
• Work cooperatively with the management team on adopting and implementing organization-wide systems, and help guide and execute the strategic goals of the institution to support Mt. Cuba Center’s mission.
• A Bachelor of Science degree in horticulture, botany or related plant science field
• 5 years of greenhouse or nursery production experience, or equivilent combination of education and work experience.
• Proficient working knowledge of plant identification, plant growth, plant cultural requirements, and disease/pest recognition
• Skill in all phases of crop production
• Exceptional managerial and teambuilding skills
• Demonstrated ability in the production of native plants and general greenhouse and nursery management practices
• Ability to safely and effectively operate and maintain a wide range of hand tools, power tools, vehicles
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and ability to learn and adapt to various software and technology programs to complete work duties
• Demonstrated ability in organizing, managing and motivating employees, contractors and others
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with Mt. Cuba Center staff and the public
• Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, and the ability to manage time and effectively function without close supervision
• Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and special events as needed
Physical Demands & Working Conditions
Requires moderate physical work; Frequent/Significant time spent standing and limited reaching, carrying, and lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects up to 50 pounds
Mt. Cuba Center, a premier native plant garden, is dedicated to supporting the environment through the practice and promotion of ecological horticulture. Mt. Cuba Center’s gardens and programs inspire an appreciation for the beauty and value of native plants and commitment to protect the habitats that sustain them.
We offer staff competitive pay, access to our employee discount program, a fun atmosphere, a balanced work-life environment, and an AMAZING benefits package (401k matching up to 8%, health, dental, vision, life insurance, paid parental leave, and generous time off amounts).
HAVING TROUBLE APPLYING? PLEASE EMAIL CAREERS@MTCUBACENTER.ORG FOR HELP!